Kelly's Writing

Queens College

Exam Prep

Filed under: Uncategorized — Kelly Santana at 11:09 pm on Friday, March 17, 2017

To start, I thought I’d list what texts I would like to work with. I still have to add one of my own texts but I haven’t decided which yet. But anyway, here they are:

• The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao
  • A Midsummer Night’s Dream
  • The Importance of Being Earnest*
  • Emily Dickinson’s Poems
  • “The Yellow Wallpaper”
  • “The Tell-Tale Heart”
  • “Bartleby the Scrivener”
  • “A Modest Proposal”
  • “Dream of the Rood”

Theory: I’d like to use the article Zahava presented, “Unnatural Narratives, Unnatural Narratology: Beyond Mimetic Models” along with “The Tell-Tale Heart” and “The Yellow Wallpaper” to talk about how the narrator distorts the real world and creates a whole new bizarre world. I was thinking I could also connect the idea about the unnatural and unreliable narrator to “Bartleby the Scrivener.” I could also possibly use Unreadable Minds and the Captive Reader” from my Bartleby presentation and connect it to my other texts in this section but we’ll see.

Historical Context: I’m thinking of discussing how historical context shapes the reality of the characters in The Importance of Being Earnest (* Still reading the book though so I’m not 100 percent sure),  The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao (I found a supplementary text that talks about the history of DR that frames Diaz’s story so I might use that), and A Midsummer Night’s Dream. I really liked the article Caitlin used for her presentation (“Introduction” to Dreaming in the Middle Ages”). Maybe I could use that article to discuss thoughts on dreams and the debate surrounding them during Shakespeare’s time and how it may have influenced the play… Though that’s separate from the other works I want to use for this section. I’d like to find a way to connect all of these better.

Genre: Ok, so I must admit I’m still quite confused when it comes to this section. I think I know what texts I’d like to possibly use here (The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao, Dickinson’s poems,”Dream of the Rood,” and “A Modest Proposal”) but I’m still not sure how I can connect all of these. I was thinking of using “Excerpts from Do Metaphors Dream of Literal Sheep?: A Science Fictional Theory of Representation” for Dickinson’s poems (maybe) and “Dream of the Rood”. Since there’s talk of SF, I could also somehow also bring up Oscar Wao and use the article “Comic Book Realism: Form and Genre in Junot Díaz’s The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao.” I don’t know. I’m still confused (obviously). I have to figure this one out.

Flexibility and Modularity: I feel like I could use certain texts for each of the three sources quite well. Right now what I need to focus on is connecting the texts in each section. I have supplementary texts that only pertain to specifically one work so I have to do some more researching in that respect. I feel most confident in texts like The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao and “The Yellow Wallpaper” because I know how I can address these texts in more than one section. I also want to add a text (the additional one we can add) that can help me make connections between other texts or maybe help me in a section that I need most help with (like the genre section). I feel like I have one text and article that I’m sure about for each section, but I don’t know how to integrate my other texts into that particular discussion. That make sense? So yeah, I’ll be looking up more supplementary material to help me out.

Any suggestions are, as usual, greatly appreciated! 🙂

1 Comment »

51

Michelle Coleman

March 18, 2017 @ 8:00 pm

Hi Kelly! It looks like you’re really starting to come up with a sturdy plan! I agree that the genre portion is the most difficult– but I think the “Comic Book Realism” article may help you there! I think that writing out your ideas and continuing to read and plan will help you make your plans more specific. It also looks like you’re developing some comfort with flexibility, which I think will be really important for the exam. I think you have enough texts in total, but for your plans you include multiple texts in the same topic– maybe come up with a few different topics/ideas to make sure you really connect two or three texts when needed! You’re off to a great start! We can do this!

RSS feed for comments on this post. TrackBack URI